As promised here I am with some funny poker vocabulary for you, as poker players you must have heard these expressions on the table, I am sure you would know the meaning of some of them but for those who may be relatively new to poker and be left wondering at exactly how to react to a certain comment here is a little help.
Reminds me of an incident, I was playing live in a casino in my beginner's era and flatted AA when I was the first to act, (its called UTG, now I know) three more people came into the pot which I eventually won.
When I showed my hand one of the players said "wow you LIMPED ROCKETS" and I went Hehehehhehe (not even certain if a sheepish laughter was the correct reaction to that comment.)
Now I am not even sure if the opponent instantly marked me as "FISH" in his mind but I caught the terminology bug and decided to learn all poker terms by heart, basically to sound cool and not look like a fool.
So now I know UNDER THE GUN is the first guy to call after the blinds, LIMPED is flat calling the big blind and ROCKETS are aces. FISH, of course, is a new player not so sure of what's really happening around him on the poker table :)
Let's get to know some more of these terms.
1. Double Belly Buster- A hand in which a player has two inside straight draws at once. For example, if the flop comes K 7 10 and a player holds J 9, either Q or 8 will make a straight. Also called a “double gutshot”
2..Darth Vader- A nickname for the 4-Clubs 4-Spades because they are the "darks fours," which sounds similar to the "dark force."
3. Baskin Robbins- Nickname for 3 A. Symbolizing the chain's "31 Flavors" of ice cream.
4. Dead Man's Hand-Two pair - Aces and Eights. It is supposedly the hand "Wild Bill" Hickok was holding when he was murdered in Deadwood, South Dakota
5. Anna Kournikova- A slang term for the starting hand of AK in hold'em, named for the former professional tennis player and model. basically, a hand that LOOKS BETTER THAN IT PLAYS
6. Dolly Parton- A straight 5-9 (Nine to five). Named after her starring role in the film 9 to 5
7. Hollywood - "overacting" or taking too much time to act when a decision doesn’t necessarily require it.
8.Lollipop Hand- A nickname for AQ because it looks sweet but often gets licked.
9.Steel Wheel- A five high straight Flush.
10.Zombie- A player who shows no emotion
So those were some of the fun terms to learn and show off at a poker table.
Word of caution here- You do stand the risk of sounding like an over smart Machhi (same as FISH) if you use them too frequently.
In the comments below, you can ask me the meaning of the poker terms you wanna learn. Also will appreciate your feedback on the topics you want me to cover in future.