Playing cards during Diwali night has been a tradition in India for a very long time. It's not just a tradition, but there are a few mythological stories behind it too. The most common one goes like this – Goddess Parvati played a game of dice with Lord Shiva and declared that whoever plays on Diwali night will prosper throughout the year. The scene of this mythological story is beautifully depicted in the Kailash temple at Ellora. Hence, the tradition of playing cards for stakes is a common practice during Diwali night. If you are looking to win big this Diwali in Poker, here are some tried and tested tips for you that you cannot miss!
Ten Diwali Poker Tips
- Know your opponent well and find out the “fish” (weak player) on the table in the first half an hour of the game. And if you are unable to spot one, then most likely you are the one. Play safe!
- Stick by the rule book and play in position. In poker, position play is a very important strategy to follow. For example, if you are the last one to play, you get a chance to acquire enough information about the opponent's hands and make your move accordingly. See some cool poker moves here.
- The worst thing to happen to poker players is when they give in to emotions. Keep your emotions aside when playing big for real money. Don’t give up on temptations or fall out of line. Stay disciplined and do only what is needed.
- Know your chances of getting away well before making a bluff.
- It is not necessary to maintain a definite style of playing poker. You may and should tweak your playing style according to your opponent’s move. However, don’t shuffle your playing style in between an ongoing game.
- Poker is all about playing the mind. The better control you have on your mind, the better is your odd to win.
- Never play out of your means and don’t try to bluff too much. This may lead to a quick end of the game. Instead, discipline yourself and stick to the basic poker rules.
- It is important to learn to manage your bankroll. Never overexpose yourself because you may get broke sooner or later. If you are playing for INR X as buy-in, have at least 25x saved at all times. Learn the nitty-gritty of bankroll management here.
- Resist the urge of making too many naked bluffs. You should remember that some opponents may fold more than others.
- Our last and the most valuable tip – keep it simple, stay by the rules, and don’t try to make too many bold moves if you are looking at winning big this Diwali!
Poker is fun and full of excitement. The only way to win big is to be patient, learn about your opponents and get your strategy right. Now that you have all the information handy, head on to the 9stack poker app on your phone to play the game of your life! We’re waiting…